Significant health rules every couple must know


There’s nothing better than finding that person who makes you swoon. Without saying a word, they make you feel like the most beautiful person in the world. However, as time goes by and you settle into being a couple, it’s not uncommon for one or both of you to let your physical appearance slip a bit.

While gaining a pound or two is nothing to worry about, choosing your couch over the gym more often than not is another story. Whether you’re already married or in a domestic partnership, you owe it to the both of you to stay healthy and fit.

Below are ways to you and your better half can boost your health factor together:

Hit the Gym

When you’re single, you went to the gym daily and made sure you walked over 10,000 a day. But when you meet your main squeeze, the only thing you want to do is cuddle on the couch and watch Netflix. Over time, not only do the pounds creep up, but you’re also developing an unhealthy lifestyle. Make a point to get active at least four to five times a week. As a couple, you can go biking, running or even take a Zumba class.

Mediate Together

There’s no other way to say but to just say it: Stress kills. If you or your love are under constant stress, it can negatively impact your relationship. The best way to keep your relationship moving in the right direction is by finding ways to decompress.

61% of the time of Australians is spent practising, with the other 39% devoted to the gentler practises of relaxation, pranayama (breathing techniques), meditation and instruction. Meditation is a great way to not only bond  but also alleviate tension and stress. If you’re new the world of meditation, there are plenty of videos you can watch online for free.

Junk Food Overload

On average, Australians consume 2.7 serves of discretionary foods each day or about 19 serves per week. This exceeds the average maximum recommendation of 0-2.5 serves per day. In addition to skipping the gym, a lot of couples also start eating out more. Unfortunately, eating out usually equates to consuming unhealthy fats and sugars.

While it’s perfectly okay to indulge every once in a while, as a couple, you need to focus on eating healthy. Instead of ordering take-out, start cooking your favourite foods together. Not only is it better for you, but it also saves you money as well.

An Ounce of Prevention

If you’ve already tied the knot, you might want to consider a couples health insurance plan. Unfortunately, even the healthiest of people get sick. Having a couples insurance protects both of you and allows you to get the medical attention you need.

Laugh Like No One is Watching

Australia ranks 11th amongst other countries according to the World Happiness Index. Laughter is proven to boost your mood, reduce stress and even reduce painful symptoms of certain medical conditions. Even if you’re still in the honeymoon period, laughing together makes the day just a little bit brighter. If you’re far past that stars-in-the-eyes stage, finding ways to laugh together can breathe new life into your union. If can even stop a petty argument dead in its tracks.

Imbibe in Moderation

In addition, to eating right and staying active together as a couple, you should focus on moderation. Approximately 41% of the population (aged 14 years and over) drink alcohol at least once per week, including 6% of the population who drink daily. Twenty-three per cent of Australians does not drink alcohol at all. If you consume alcohol, limit your intake to an only glass or two of wine when you go out. Find ways to spend time together that don’t involve drinking. There are plenty of things you can do a couple that won’t leave your head spinning the morning after.

Final Thoughts

There’s nothing better than finding someone to spend your life. The key to a long and healthy relationship is knowing when to your relationship first and also when you need to focus on yourself. Even the happiest of couples need time apart. Live together, love together and most importantly, take care of each other.

This content has been provided by Healthline.