Everything you need to know about Australian citizen visas for Spain

Did you know that Spain was the third most visited country in 2016? Approximately 75.6 million tourists flocked to the beautiful European country.

Of that number, The Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Spain was Australia’s 22nd largest short-term destination. In the year ended September 2017, 88,500 Australian residents returned from Spain following a short-term visit overseas.

There are many beautiful sights to see and cities to visit in Spain, so if you are planning your next holiday to Seville or you are wanting to go backpacking in Barcelona, you need to check out our travel essential guide.

Travelling to Spain as a Tourist

If you are an Australian citizen who is a member of the Schengen States, and you’re travelling to Spain as a tourist, then you don’t need to get a visa before arriving in the country.

The Schengen States include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

However, if you’re an Australian citizen from a non-Schengen State, then you’ll be issued with a short period visa, or the common Schengen Visa upon arrival. The common Schengen Visa allows you to stay in the country for a maximum of 90 days over a six month period.

If you are wanting to do some travelling, you need to note that this type of visa means the entire Schengen State area and not just an individual area. So if you want to visit several countries, remember that this visa permits you to do so for up to 90 days.

If you want to extend your 90 day Schengen Visa then you must contact the Spanish Ministry of the Interior. However, Spanish authorities hardly ever extend the Schengen Visa.

According Matías Lòpez, a spokesperson from, “The Schengen Visa is ideal for Australian citizens who wish to visit Spain for no more than three months. Spanish authorities advise these types of visas to be used for those wishing to go on short-term holidays and also for those who want to do a short stint of travelling. This visa is not suitable if you want to work or reside in Spain.”

Work or Residents Permits

Australian citizens who want to work or reside in Spain need to apply for a visa that is appropriate for their requirements. These visa applications can be found at your nearest Spanish Embassy or Consulate.

Bear in mind that Spanish immigration officials rarely grant a work or residence visa to Australian citizens who originally enter Spain with a Schengen Visa.

You must also bear in mind that work, residence, or ancestry visas for any other European Union country, such as the United Kingdom, are not transferable to Spain.

If you are in Spain and want information on obtaining a work or residence visa, contact the Spanish Ministry of the Interior.

Comments are closed.