How to do life according to Formula One driver Stoffel Vandoorne
Stoffel Vandoorne was one of the top contenders for this year’s Melbourne International Formula One Grand Prix as part of the illustrious Red Bull McLaren Honda team, and what a contender he was!
Though turns out he’s quite the dude outside of the race car as he is behind the wheel of one. We had a chat with him about all things life that doesn’t revolve around cars necessarily and he’s got some stories to tell…
- Do you like fashion? Do you love a brand or some piece (like suits, shoes, tennis shoes, watches…)?
I do enjoy fashion, but I don’t have much time to spend shopping. When I’m on my bike or training, I like to be in sports clothes, but if going to an event and I’m wearing a suit, then I have a smart Michael Kors one which I enjoy wearing.
- How do you like to spend money? Cars? Clothes? Food? Travels? What things makes you happy besides cars?
I don’t really have time to spend that much money at the moment – I am too busy travelling! If I am not travelling with work, then I enjoy spending my money travelling to see new places. I love going out with friends, and I’m also into gadgets, laptops, technology for the home.
- What kind of music do you like?
I like dance music, but I generally like all kinds of music. It really depends on my mood.
- What artist would you most want to see perform live?
Justin Bieber! Haha, no, I don’t know really, there is no artist I really want to see currently.
- What is your favourite movie?
The Shawshank Redemption.
- What are some of your favourite restaurants?
I love Japanese food, especially sushi and Yakiniku (barbecued meat) – I’ve spent a lot of time in Japan after racing out there last season, so I’ve tried loads and I like it all.
- What is the best meal you’ve ever eaten?
Probably some of the beef I have eaten in Japan, it is a different taste to anywhere else in the World
- How is your fitness regime and food philosophy?
I eat a lot of pancakes, Belgian waffles, chocolate…. No, I’m only kidding! I don’t follow a specific diet religiously but I do take care over what I eat and eat healthily. Body weight is very important in Formula 1, so I train hard to ensure I am as fit as possible, whilst also maintaining a consistent weight.
- You must travel quite a bit. What tips do you have for beating jet lag and maintaining your health and wellbeing whilst overseas?
Sleep! Having lots of rest between travelling is one of the most important factors in getting over jet lag, but that can sometimes be very hard if you need to sleep on a plane – with the amount of travelling we do, we get used to it.
- You are a global citizen, but do you have any particular country that fascinates you?
I’d say Japan, I’ve spent a lot of time in Japan and the culture out there is amazing.
11. What kind of flavours do you like?
I love fruit, so almost any kind of berry, but being from Belgium I also have quite a sweet tooth!
Latest posts by James Banham (see all)
- Good news for The Establishment Hotel in Sydney - April 22, 2017
- Burger Project has a new app that makes burgers your new go-to food - April 22, 2017
- 5 ways to turn your home into the perfect relaxation space - April 22, 2017